This article brings up a lot of great points, including:
- Online Education "Doesn't Have to Suck"
- Universities have limited physical space
- Education Can Change the World
- Global Understanding is More Important than Ever
- The Internet Empowers Self-Motivated Learners
- The Virtual Classroom Can Make the Physical Classroom More Effective
The most interesting point came from point 6, where they discuss we have moved to this "inverted" model where students watch the lectures at home and do activities and homework in class. We have seen lectures loaded to iTunes for dowload and a huge increase in LMS's on university campuses.
The area to keep an eye on are social apps for education. With the rise of the iPad and other comparable devices, the ability for extending learning outside of the physical classroom has a huge potential.